Easter Wreath from Fun Finds
This week I wanted to do another quick project, and keep it at under $5.00.
Thrift shops are no different than any other stores . . . they always have lots of seasonal items. Two of my favorite locals are DISCOVERY THRIFT and our FAMILY PATHWAYS. These stores have lots of craft supplies, papers and fabrics along with everything else.
Here’s some of what I found.
From Discovery Thrift
• Easter grass: $0.50
• Green flocked wreath with finished back: $2.00
From Family Pathways:
• Packaged Easter table kit: $0.50
From my supply cabinet stash
• Some little green wooden garden stakes: FREE from a garage sale
• A sheet of scrapbooking paper: From a book of 100 sheets for $2.00 at a craft sale long ago
Here’s how I put it together.
I separated the Big Bunnies piece into two individuals. I used only one for this project so have the 2nd for another time.
Then I eyeballed the bunny behind the wreath to see where to place it.
Now, I trimmed the piece, leaving a TAB on the bottom and one on top.
Next, using an Xacto knife, I carefully made slits on the top/bottom of the wreath, for the tabs.
TIP: Note that my wreath form is about 2 ½ inches deep; so I cut mid-way into the form. This gives the rabbit more depth than just gluing it flat to the back of the wreath.
As always, I puttied a piece of wax paper on my work surface. Just to keep the mess contained a bit.
After the glue gun warmed up, I took four full length stakes and glued them as pictured, to make the cross piece sections for my little fence.
Next, I cut down several plant sticks, to make fence pickets. I used the pointed ends for this project, but saved the cut-off pieces for another day.
Here’s where we are in the project.
Now I took some paper eggs from the kit. Removing the paper from the stem left a tiny hole in the egg. So, little flowers were cut-out of the scrapbook paper, and used to disguise the holes when needed.
Next, I glued several paper eggs behind and throughout my little fence. And then, eggs with the flowered coverings were added around the top of the wreath.
Last part was to add some texture with the Easter grass.
Gathering a clump of grass, I then wired the middle, and after three clumps were made, I then glued them onto the back (or inside) of my fence.
I pulled strands through the pickets, then gave everything a jagged haircut . . . and here it is!
Of course this is just an example of how I used my “fun finds”. Yours will be completely different . . . and speaking of yours . . . I always like to see what you’ve done. You can connect with me on PINTEREST or HOMETALK or FACEBOOK and share your photos.
1. For More Depth: I made large dobs of hot glue behind some of the eggs and flowers. This makes them stand away from the surface, for more depth and added interest.
2. On The Fence: The eggs were glued behind the fence and in & out some pickets. This way, after grass is added and adjusted . . . the eggs look “hidden” for the hunt.
3. I glued flat, a few partial flowers to the front and ground of the fence. This helps s tie everything together throughout the wreath.
4. You Regulars all know that I like things a little WHONKY . . . no perfect here. That’s why I glued my fence pickets on a little crooked . . . more fun to do . . . more fun to look at too! 🙂
So, it’s time to say “don’t stress too much, just start something!”
Thanks again for all of your well wishes after my “broken ribs” fiasco. Each week is a little bit better!
And naturally, I LOVE COMMENTS so keep em’ coming! Thanks.
OH, I’m linking this post to THE SCOOP linky party.
Find them through Anita at CEDAR HILL FARMHOUSE
This week’s host is Barb at THE EVERYDAY HOME
Lot’s of fun there. Take a look!
Later – Cheryl
Copyright © 2013-2014 Artzzle All Rights Reserved